What defense options do I have if accused of a sex offense in Ohio?
A sex crimes attorney with our firm, Fortress Law Group, can review your case and its evidence to determine if you had an alibi when the offense occurred and if the DNA evidence demonstrates that you weren’t present. If the case alleges the involvement of other potential suspects, we can review the likelihood that a known cohort of the other suspects might have been involved.
What are common sex crimes and penalties if convicted in Ohio?
Sex crimes fall under three tiers in Ohio. Tier I is primarily for minor sex crimes, while Tiers II and III are for more serious offenses. Whichever tier a conviction falls under dictates when and how often a sex crimes convict will have to update their sex offender registration.
Common misdemeanor sex crimes include:
- Sexual imposition
- Voyeurism (fifth-degree felony if the victim is a minor)
- Public indecency (can be a felony, depending on circumstances)
- Procuring prostitution (a felony if the prostitute is underage)
- Solicitation for prostitution
- Displaying or disseminating matter harmful to juveniles (a felony in some cases)
Common felony sex crimes include:
- Rape (first-degree felony)
- Sexual battery (third-degree felony)
- Unlawful sexual conduct with a minor (fourth, third, or second-degree felony)
- Gross sexual imposition (third- or fourth-degree felony)
- Importuning (fifth, fourth, third, or second-degree felony)
- Child pornography (fourth, third, or second-degree felony)
- Compelling or promoting prostitution (fourth, third, second, or first-degree felony)
Can I appeal a sex crime conviction?
You may have your Ohio criminal defense attorney file an appeal after a conviction for a sex offense. If you feel that your defense attorney failed to represent you well in your case, contact us to have experienced sex crimes attorney Matthew C. Bangerter manage your appeal.
Be aware that you only have 30 days to file an appeal or an extension for an appeal to the court.
How do I find an experienced sex crime lawyer to defend me?
If you need a sex offenses attorney to represent you in Northeast Ohio, turn to our experienced team at Fortress Law Group, led by Attorney Matthew C. Bangerter. Since 2009, we’ve represented many people accused of sex offenses. Our strategy is to assess forensic evidence, look for witnesses, and secure an alibi to disprove the prosecution’s accusations. Call our offices in Cleveland Metro at (440) 340-1740 to schedule a case review.